Saturday, January 26, 2008

Too Busy Writing to Write?

While I haven't posted in a couple of weeks, it wasn't because I wasn't writing. Several posts are saved in the background here and at the Crosley blog, awaiting completion. And over the past three weeks I've written something over 20,000 words' worth of chapters for the two books I'm writing. Another 12,000 words need need editing before I can turn them in.

The 12,000 words (about 50 manuscript pages) are waiting because I keep abandoning them to write new material. Just like I set aside the posts here. Why? Because I lose interest in the part I'm currently writing, and jump ahead to write later parts of the books. (The counterpart of that in terms of blog posts is that I think of a new subject while I'm writing a post, and put the current post away so I can get started on the new post.)

This isn't a constant for me in my writing; if it was, I'd still be working on my first book, instead of having written 42 books. It sort of comes and goes, and probably represents a desire to have the current project(s) finished--which of couse won't happen if I don't finish chapters. Fortunately, as I've done in the past, I'll eventually pick up those abandoned chapters and finish them, largely because I'll become bored with the later chapters.
--Mike

No comments: